What Happens To The Ones I Love
While undergoing rehabilitation at a rehab centre, you can make provision for proper care of your pets and family members if you care about their welfare.
Addict's family is one of the main worries they face when they require a treatment; they are concerned about their financial security, where they will live and if they can contact them once they get into treatment.
Understanding your alternatives can help you make the right decision for you and your loved ones since these challenges can be beaten.
As long as you plan carefully and ask for assistance before you start treatment, your family will be taken care of during your stay at rehab.
- Who will handle my kids when I visit therapy?
- What happens if I do not have someone who can assist?
- Are there better alternatives?
- Are loved ones allowed to visit me?
- How will my family get by financially while I'm in treatment?
- How do I tell my children about going to rehab?
- Who will care for my pet when I go into rehab?
- How will I stay in touch with the people I love while in rehab?
- How can I get help to overcome the addiction?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Child Care Alternatives For People In Rehab
Parents who are thinking about going into rehab can find it difficult to get a reliable caregiver for their children. There are, however, many alternatives to make sure your child is safe and sound while you are in a rehab.
The preferred alternative is usually a person with which your kid is comfortable and familiar with, a person close to you and your loved ones.
Get help with finding a rehab option by contacting us now on 0800 772 3971.
Most of the guardians in treatment request for assistance from their
- Your parents
- Close family friends
Daytime child care can help if the people closest to you have other obligations, like work, school, etc. if there are child care services in your neighbourhood, some rehab centres can link you up with them if the rehab centre doesn't have one.
Some treatment centres will allow your kids to stay with you if you are a single parent. These plans not only heal the guardian's dependence, but as well treat the kid for any associated psychological health concerns.
Get in touch with us today and let us assist you in getting a rehab that will let you stay with your child.
How To Speak To Your Child Regarding Rehabilitation
Communicating to your children about why you need to go into rehab and your addiction is very important. It will help them understand and deal with you being away. It will also help them understand that it isn't their fault.
A number of stipulations to adopt when verbalizing to your kids are
- Get informed about addiction and rehabilitation.
- It will help you talk to your children about it if you know more.
- Communicate in a language that is appropriate for their age and level of understanding.
- Exclude the medical language.
- Choose the best time to talk to them.
- A relaxed environment that has minimal interruption and distractions is best.
- The effect of your dependence on your children and their perception of it should be admitted.
- Say that you are sorry if you made them suffer.
- Tell the truth and let them ask questions.
- Remember to put emphasis on the fact that they are not the cause of your addiction and they cannot control your decisions and choices.
The "Seven C's" method was developed by the National Association for Children of Alcoholics to help children deal with their parent's substance abuse. Kids are urged to remember the "Seven Cs" to remind them that they're not the source of the difficulty. It also offers ideas on how to deal with a parent who is addicted.
The Seven Cs
- I didn't cause it
- I cannot cure it
- I can't control it
- I can take better care of myself
- By communicating my feelings
- Making health conscious choices, and
- Celebrating me
Government And Non-Profit Child Care Options
If you don't have any blood relation or allies that can assist you look over your kids, there are several alternatives. Safe Families for Children is an NGO that can handle that responsibility. These organizations discover short-lived residencies for kids whole guardians are incapable of caring for them. The safety of your kids is guarantee because the organization confirms the trustworthiness of the families that support them. This arrangement will help the biological parent keep custody of their children during and after the process of treatment.
If you can't detect a program that matches your family's demands, voluntary positioning in foster care may be offered in your state. This is usually a last alternative.
You will have to sign a Voluntary Placement Agreement (VPA) if you opt to place your child in the foster care system. This means you agree to transfer custody and the well being of your child to the Department of Human Services temporarily. You might have to pay monthly child support.
This is an understandably scary option, but it is there should you need it. You only have to ensure that you are present for all necessary court hearings and that you stay dedicated to the conditions of the VPA. You need to keep in mind that the greatest thing you can do for your kid and yourself is to beat your addiction.
Pet Care During Rehabilitation
Many families have pets that are considered family members. Similar to dependents with kids, people with pets often strive to discover a very good caregiver. You have different alternatives if you can't find a relative to take your pets while you are away.
Long-term boarding is present at many of the boarding amenities, though very long stays can be really costly. Getting a sitter for your pet may be an affordable alternative especially for pets that need little care such as fish, cats or rodents. Pet sitters take care of your pets by coming to your house a certain number of times every day or every week. While you are away, some might even take your pets to their home. Pets that require constant care, like dogs or other animals might be better off with this alternative.
If you get a pet sitter for the duration you will be in rehab, you need to give detailed instructions on care, the medical records of your pet and contact information in case of emergency such as the animal clinic or vet you work with. You should also ensure that your vet knows that while you are away your pet will be looked after by another person.
In case you cannot consider the option of separating from your pet, you will need to find a treatment facility that permits patients to check in with their pets. However, these types of facilities are still in small numbers even though this option is gaining popularity. You may have to travel to another area in order to find a program suited for you. There are rehabs that permit pets on visit, this may be a good alternative if your rehab forbids them.
Visitation With Loved Ones When In Treatment
The support of loved ones is essential to your treatment and most facilities consider them an important part of recovery.
To aid you adapt, guests and any kind of communication (phone calls, email, etc.) are generally not accepted for a duration of 3-7 days after reporting.
Immediately the first waiting duration is over, many treatment centres provide visitation hours.
Some centres allow daily visits; others only allow them weekly or monthly. Each rehab has its own stipulated duration for visitors.
A counsellor may need to approve visitors and they will be added to an approved visitor's list in order to visit you. Look into your centre's visitor's policies to make sure your family meet the requirements to visit.
When In Rehab Communicating With Loved Ones
Even when receiving treatment, you can still get in touch with your loved ones using many channels. It depends with plan, though a good number of centres accept phone and internet use (email) at assigned periods. Sending and receiving letters is also permitted.
We have facilities that even allow you to receive care packages from your loved ones. Although, they will probably be accessed by staff immediately for security reasons. To find out what items are allowed in care packages, check with your facility's administration.
Allowance may also be made for your family to receive treatment at the facility. A lot of cases in dependence, your loved ones are struck by the ailment, as well. These sessions will help everyone heal by acknowledging everyone's feelings.
Financial Support For Your Loved Ones During Rehabilitation
The expense of dependence rehab can be a big financial load, more so if your blood relation loses an origin of revenue when you're in therapy. Here are a few ways to lessen money problems down the road
- Discussing with your employer on the possibility of using sick off days and any paid off time.
- If you have paid sick leave pending you can still get a pay check for a number of days if not all of the days you will be in rehab.
- Request for assistance from your family and close friends.
- Your medical bill or other bills may be taken care of by individuals who are ready to lend a helping hand.
- You should also consult your health insurer to establish if they can pay for some of your treatment expenses.
- Medicaid/ Medicare and the Affordable Care Act provide choices to support pay for dependence therapy.
- Check if your company offers short-term disability with your boss, and if it does ask if that includes drug and alcohol addiction treatment.
- Costs can be lowered if you are able to use any of these options.
- To ensure that you pay for your treatment without trouble, you can check the facility whether there is allowance for installment payment if you cannot pay the whole medical bill once.
In the scenario that your blood relation gets behind on bills when you're in treatment, attempt contacting your creditors to quickly request for an extension or to modify the due dates for your requital. A lot of people may offer to assist you because they understand your problem and will want to help you overcome them.
Choosing Addiction Treatment To Benefit You And Your Family
It is normal to express your mind about leaving your family and moving to a rehab centre. You will rarely find anyone who did not have similar misgivings as they went into rehab. But these fears should not keep you from seeking the help necessary for you. At the end of the day, being sober is the best thing for you and the people you love.
Don't spend one more second of your lives on addiction.