What To Carry Along When Going For Rehab
Rehab treatment centres permit certain things and prohibit certain items; you should know the policy of your rehab treatment facility beforehand.
Treatment centres are enforcing stringent rules when it comes to contrabands and prohibited objects inside the facility. A recommended packing list is provided by most centres, which also provide you with a list of items that are prohibited.
You will be required to check in after you arrive at the rehab and begin the process for the admission. Your clinic's welcome staff will check your bags to guarantee safety and that nothing forbidden is sneaked through. A checklist is provided by some clinics to make sure no items are forgot once treatment is over.
However, all treatment centres allow you to bring in the necessities that are required. This policy though may differ from one treatment centre to another.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
How To Get The Packing Information
Please make sure to consult your rehab with allowed and prohibited things to bring or you can check on their page online. Alternatively, you can also look for the frequently asked questions [FAQs] section if the page mentioned above does not exist. The patients are also given hard copies with all the items listed. In case you are unable to find these information in print, you can always call your rehab centre for it. The staff will guide you on this matter. If you have any doubts you will find all the answers and explanations before your admission.
What Most Rehab Centres Recommend You To Carry
Set of regulations are severer than others depending on each clinic.
These are some of the things that you will find allowed in most rehabs
- Details of people who form your support group (family and close friends, doctors, 12-step sponsors, and others).
- Your wedding ring or watch or other everyday jewellery items.
- Except for the above you are advised to leave all valuables at home.
- An alarm clock without a radio.
- You will be provided these items in some facilities, so confirm about this before purchasing one.
- The medications that the patient will be using.
- All the medicines must be up to date and prescribed by a certified doctor.
- All this information should be provided before the patient is admitted.
- A bit of cash (from £50 to £100 in small bills for store runs, vending machine, etc.)
- Credit cards that will be used to cater for the expenses inside the rehab.
- Identification information.
- If you want to make long distance calls, bring a calling card with you.
- A notebook or a journal.
- Stamps and envelopes for mailing letters if you wish to.
- Pictures of relatives and friends that you can have in your room or wallet.
- Most rehabs provide inpatients with books and magazines to read.
- If you wish to carry reading materials for yourselves, you must understand that the subjects must only be on the recovery, self-help and spiritually oriented.
- Small notebook are the best since they are not heavy.
What Attire Is Needed
Most centres for rehab adhere to a strict dress code, and therefore, it is essential for you to be aware about any restrictions, which may apply during the packing. Include clothes for different weather conditions in your bag if you don't know how the climate is going to be.
Bear in mind that the space within your room could be limited, and therefore, you are advised not to over pack.
Patients enjoy access to common laundry machines and therefore clothing that will last you for 7-10 days will be more than enough. Try not to bring clothes which require special washing like dry cleaning for example.
You should carry along about seven days of comfortable and with appropriate clothing, including the following
- Shoes An everyday comfortable shoes, a training or sports shoes for fitness activities, and flip flops for showering
- Shirts Ensure your shirts are in line with the dress code of your centre.
- Shorts Lengths may be determined by the centre to comply with a dress code.
- One or two smart dresses for special occasions.
- Bathing suits a one-piece for women and trunks for men is usually enough.
- A Jacket/Coat.
- A bathrobe.
- A hat.
Beauty And Hygiene Products To Pack
Carrying alcohol free makeup products is what many rehabs advocate for. Some allow alcohol-containing products only when alcohol doesn't feature in the first three ingredients. Aerosols are not allowed
These toiletries and personal products should be enough you to last thirty days especially
- A toothpaste and toothbrush
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hygiene products for women
- Shaving cream
Which Items Are Prohibited
Certain items are not allowed inside the premises of rehab centres. These are important to warrant a safe environment that is conducive to your wellness and recovery. Please find below the list of objects that are forbidden, it may be different from clinic to clinic
- Drugs and alcohol
- Medicines that are not prescribed
- Weapons [guns, knives, sharp objects, scissors, etc.].
- Unsuitable videos
- Food and drinks
- Body sprays with alcohol content
- E cigarettes
- Unsealed over-the-counter medicines
- Nail products
- Computer games
- Sporting apparatus
- Sexy or revealing clothing
- Cleaning supplies [bleach, ammonia, etc.]
- Electronic products
- Games and playing cards
- Incense and candles
- Drug related clothing
Playing cards, games and movies may be surprising contrabands for you but rules are rules. Retrieval will be better off without such distractions. At times, your centre will provide these items
Most centres don't encourage consumption of too much caffeine and sugar, and that's why outside food and drinks are prohibited. You will get 3 main meals, along with snacks and beverages. You will have to inform the centre if you have any special dietary requirements or allergies.
These Items Are Permitted By Some Clinics But Not Others
There are clinics that may permit items that are forbidden in others as every centre has its regulations. These are some of the items that may be allowed or not allowed in the facilities
- Smartphones and Laptops
- The laptops and pcs are restricted in some places while allowed in others depending on the rehabs policies.
- You must ensure that you do not forget your power cords.
- There are facilities that allow patients to bring cigarettes.
- A limit to cartons available at these centres is usually established.
- Multivitamins and OTC Drugs
- OTC medications should be brand new.
- Chewing gums
- It must be unopened and sealed.
- MP3 and CD Players
- Devices without speakers or Internet access may be allowed by some centres.
- For patients who are photography enthusiasts, the are allowed with the privilege to bring their cameras with them.
- Shaving Equipments
- Due to their dangerousness, razors may be forbidden in certain clinics.
- You can bring disposable razors with you.
- Nail Cutters
- Nail clippers may be banned by some centres, but this is not a common habit.
- Items To Make Your Room Feel Like Home
- Many centres allow patients to bring their own mattresses and pillows and other stuff to give their room a more homely appearance.
- It is best to call up the rehab centre and check if they allow such items.
Will I Retrieve Forbidden Items That I Accidently Take To The Clinic
In cases where you have brought a banned or prohibited item, just keep calm and cooperate. In all likelihood, the centre will handover the item to the individual who accompanied you. In case you came alone, the centre might hold the item for a certain period of time, during which someone from your family can collect it. Other centres will just keep them for your and return the same once you have cleared the program and leave the centre.
In case you live alone and are planning to check in by yourself. We highly recommend that you consult and clarify with the rehab centre first about their policies and other things of concern. In case you pack something, which is prohibited by mistake you will want to ensure that those items will be returned during some stage. They can either send them back to your place or keep them safe till the end of the recovery process.
Make Packing For Rehab Simple Read and stick to the policies of your centre; in case of a doubt, call them up. Ask for a checklist whenever available so you can use as a guide. Follow the general rule and try to pack light to keep it down to the necessities.
Find Support Now
There are a lot of facilities that permits you to personal items to decorate or personalize your space. Our treatment specialists can provide you the assistance needed to find a centre best suited to your requirements.
We can connect you with one if you get in touch with us on 0800 772 3971 .