The Transition Between Rehabilitation And General Life
It takes commitment for a person to completely stop the use of drugs in their lives if they have been addicts. Creation of novel leisure activities and establishment of targets help maintain abstinence.
An atmosphere with good social backing that enables users to maintain abstinence by encouragement of security and contentment is the rehabilitation centre.
Provision of opportunities of restoration and survival and a strong background of safety are provided by rehabilitation that keeps one going while at home.
Getting back to normal life sometimes becomes challenging after a person leaves the rehab clean.
Being able to recognize your stressors or triggers proves very helpful in maintaining status quo. This skill and awareness enable you to effectively fight the urges and triggers that draw you every now and then.
Managing And Staying Away From Temptations After Rehabilitation
Getting back to normal life after staying in a protected, controlled environment is not easy.
Circumstances that may precipitate relapse to previous unhealthy lifestyle are often faced by going back home.
Finding yourself in old familiar places, situations and people that bring back those negative emotions may drive you back to the old habits.
However, there are activities that can divert your attention from the drugs such as
- Joining Support Groups
- Find yourself among positive friends and loved ones who genuinely care for your welfare.
- Ensure you are part of a local support group on whom you can count for help.
- Refresh Your Crowd and Everyday Surroundings
- After leaving the facility and before reaching home, you should be asking a loved one or an individual you trust to discard any paraphernalia from your place.
- You can also keep off environments where there drugs are being sold.
- Set Objectives For Your Future
- When you have a set of goals for the future, it will become much simpler for you to manage the temptations as and when they arise.
- It makes sticking to abstinence simpler if there is a deep understanding of the advantages and good effects of being abstinent.
- Don't Miss Group Or Personal Therapy Sessions
- Make sure that you continue going for counselling even after you have left the rehab.
- Always keep in mind that the experience and information you will get from your counsellors will equip you with skills and coping mechanisms that you may not figure on your own.
- Find a reason every day to be thankful for the accomplishment you have achieved.
- Recognition of good things we have going for us is more possible when we have a grateful heart.
- Consider beginning a journal of gratitude and write down five moments every day that made you feel happy and fulfilled.
- Replace Old Bad Habits With New Healthy Habits
- Look for a fresh practice that is good and keep doing it over and over again because according to a research documented in the European Journal of Social Psychology, the time for a new practice to be second nature to one is about two months.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Join Clean Activities Rather Than Using Addictive Substances
Forming positive habits and participating in healthy activities to pass time are highly recommended forms of distraction.
In the absence of alcohol and other substances, non-indulgent habits can still be interesting.
Call us immediately on 0800 772 3971 if you want to revisit rehabilitation centre or you want to sustain your newly found abstinence.
Listed are suggested activities that keep the boredom and negativity at bay
- Mind reflections
- Get involved in sports.
- Artistry place visitation
- Seeking formal education
- Study new cultures and linguistics
- Volunteering for community work
Join Support Groups That Provide A Community Feel
Nearly in every city and locality, several local groups offer support to people on their way to recovery. Become part of such a group by enrolling into a support group and group therapy.
The 12 stages programs, counselling sessions and Narcotics Anonymous are some of the support groups that you can join today.
Partying Around Drugs And Alcohol While Remaining In Control
This could just be one of the trigger situations that could test your control where it is best to just skip altogether. Replacing old habits can take time and that's why people who have just achieved sobriety find it much harder to resist temptation.
With that said, if you know that you'll be in a situation where people around you might be drinking and some might even offer you one, you can use a time-tested strategy to overcome temptation.
Methods to Avoid Temptations In Social Settings
- Make sure you are there with a friend that neither use nor drink and be in company of dependable people.
- Drink beverages free of alcohol and keep a glass of such a drink in your hand all the time.
- Arrive later and/or leave earlier to shorten your stay at the party.
- Depart immediately if you begin to feel uncomfortable or tempted.
The Advantages To Be Derived From Getting And Staying Clean
Health is one of the primary benefits to keep yourself clean and sober. However, more than your health are other important things that contribute to your well-being as a person. This include
- Make new, clean friends
- Frugal spending
- Excitement for life and mental clarity which is enhanced
- Ability to focus on other pleasurable activities
- Physical and mental improvements
- Give new hope to other addicts who want to quit
Recovering from an addiction of drugs or alcohol could be one of the hardest things you will ever have to overcome. The process will not be fast or seamless, and it is a lifelong commitment. Simply by making an effort to remain sober you will have acquired new strength by overcoming the problems that you thought you would not be able to achieve.
You must be willing to keep clean for you to be successful. Whenever a temptation beholds you strongly, divert your mind and focus on the reasons which encouraged you to become and stay sober in the first place.